Police say they have given a "significant warning to the trucking industry", after raiding a transport company and charging a truck driver with dangerous driving following a fatal Hume Highway crash last month.
The 33-year-old driver from Picnic Point - who was driving a B-double when it crashed on Menangle Bridge on January 24, killing three people - was arrested in Tamworth.
His license was suspended and he was charged with three counts of dangerous driving occasioning death last night, police said, adding that he might face more charges after toxicology test results.
"We are determined to send a clear message to truck operators flouting safety regulations across the state - you will face serious criminal charges," the Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said in a statement this morning.
Investigators from the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and Roads and Maritime Services raided the transport company's offices at Enfield this morning and inspected eight trucks.
They were also inspecting trucks from the company on the Hume Highway at Marulan, the F3 at Mount White and on the Olympic Highway at Wagga Wagga.
All of the company's 24 trucks would be inspected, their drivers tested for drug and alcohol use and the trucks searched for illegal substances, police said.
Investigators have also asked police in Queensland, South Australia and Victoria to stop all trucks in the company's fleet.
Mr Hartley said transport companies needed to follow safe work practices.
"They have a responsibility to the motorists of New South Wales," he said.